Friday, January 04, 2008

a vague walk around a seemingly large issue

This morning I woke up and wrote down an amazing philosophical theory. Then I forgot it. Really, it's the end of the day, and here I am trying to think of something interesting to write, and I can't remember. I can't wait to get back to school so I have something urgent to do and this endless vacation can end.
I'll have to go find my notes.
So. It appears that what I thought so interesting this morning was contents of the human mind. What do we have? Only memory, the sensation of a body and the present moment. From these inputs all human thought is generated.
All human societies value great thinkers; those who taught the religion and philosophy that influenced billions of others. All the abstract concepts like goodness, truth, and injustice have to be learned and defined by what's in our minds.
What would we have without body, memory, and senses? An active mind would have nothing to act upon. There would be no symbols with which to do math, or label and arrange thoughts. All the most technical and ‘high’ abstract topics could not be reached without the more basic elements of each field. The edges of math theory where equations are created and proved is an extension of our need to count and measure physical objects. Philosophical concerns that seem strange and pointless are built from pursuing questions of why the world is how it is and how can we make sense of great difficulties? Strange science concepts in quantum physics and plasma research that have no currently known practical use are looked into by those who have already learned the other sciences and want to look further than making improved plastic molding equipment. And lastly, there are those crazy amazing musicians who play technical music beyond the skill of anyone else, yet they aren’t enjoyable to listen to, unless you are one of those who knows what they are doing and have tired of the less complex stuff.

Perhaps this concept of abstract great thoughts being built on the simple immediate things of life is not a great revelation. I think it captures my curiosity because for so much of my life there has been the influence of a preference, that the great moral concepts where to be revered and the base things of life where not worth notice, or where negative elements to be ignored. But I now see there is more of a connection between the two. Now isn’t unimportant just because it’s passing away, and the afterlife I hope for needs something that can only be created here. There is a mystery here, at least for me. I need to think other angles to this.

It will be interesting to see what I remember tomorrow.

Grady Houger ~ man who expects awkward surprises


When thinking about such difficult ideas, I tend to frown and tense up my face. I wonder if it helps or hinders me from thinking clearly?

No comments: